The “Ultimate U.S. Open Sweepstakes”
To enter and participate in this Sweepstakes, you must agree to and abide by these Official Rules.
No Purchase Necessary To Enter Or Win. A PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. You must have Internet access and an active e-mail account, Twitter and/or Instagram account to participate.
This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Twitter or Instagram.
1. Eligibility: The “Ultimate U.S. Open Sweepstakes” (the “Sweepstakes”) is open only to legal residents of the 50 United States and Washington D.C., who are at least 18 years of age (or the age of majority in the jurisdiction of their residence, whichever is older). Employees of the United States Golf Association (“USGA” or "Sponsor"), LeadDog Marketing Group, Inc. (“Administrator”), Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A. ("Lexus"), Inc. any organizations sponsoring, fulfilling, administering the Sweepstakes or supplying the prizes, and each of their respective parent, subsidiary, related and affiliated companies, (collectively, the “Promotion Entities”), and the immediate family and household members of all such foregoing individuals, are not eligible to enter or win. “Immediate family members” shall mean parents, step-parents, children, step-children, siblings, step-siblings, or spouses, regardless of where they live. “Household members” shall mean people who share the same residence at least three (3) months a year, whether related or not. Potential winner may be required to provide proof of eligibility prior to prize award. Void where prohibited or restricted by law.
Entrants may not have been convicted of a felony. By entering, each entrant understands and agrees that, if selected as the potential Grand Prize winner, he/she will be required to consent to a background check and failure to sign such consents and authorizations and/or to furnish all required information will result in disqualification. In addition, Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion, to disqualify any entry and/or disqualify the potential Grand Prize winner if the results of such background check reveal that the entrant and/or potential Grand Prize winner is not eligible to participate in the Sweepstakes or has been convicted of a crime of moral turpitude, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion.
- Sweepstakes Entry: The Sweepstakes begins at or about 12:01 a.m. ET on April 13, 2018 and ends at 11:59 p.m. ET on June 17, 2018. (“Promotion Period”). There will be two (2) separate and distinct Sweepstakes Periods as set forth in the chart below during the Promotion Period. Administrator's computer is the official clock for this Sweepstakes.
Sweepstakes Period #1
12:01 a.m. ET on 4/13/18
11:59 p.m. ET 6/10/18
Grand Prize Period
12:01 a.m. ET on 4/13/18
11:59 p.m. ET 6/17/18
Two (2) Ways To Enter:
There are two (2) ways that an eligible person may enter the Sweepstakes: (1) via Instagram or; (2) via Twitter. Each eligible entry submitted during the Promotion Period, regardless of method of entry, shall be referred to herein collectively as the “Entries” and individually as an “Entry.”
Entry via Instagram
An eligible entrant may enter the Sweepstakes during the Promotion Period via Instagram by (i) posting a photo of how much you love golf; and (ii) including BOTH of the following hashtags (collectively, a “Post”):
(a) the hashtag “#USOpen”; AND
(b) the hashtag “#Sweepstakes” (collectively, the “Sweepstakes Hashtags”).
Hashtags are not case-sensitive. Both Sweepstakes Hashtags must be included as part of your Post in order to be eligible.
You may include a comment as part of your Post, but this is not required, nor will the inclusion of a comment in any way enhance your odds of winning a prize. If you do add a comment, all uses of the word “Post” in these Official Rules (as used in conjunction with Entries) includes the accompanying comment as well.
If you do not have an Instagram account, you can visit http://Instagram.com or download the Instagram app from the iTunes App Store or Google Play and create an Instagram account according to the instructions on the website. Creating an Instagram account is free. Please note that you must agree to comply with the Instagram Terms of Service in order to create an Instagram account.
Your Post that includes both (a) the Sweepstakes Hashtags (#USOpen and #Sweepstakes) and (b) a photo of how much you love golf will constitute an Entry into this Sweepstakes.
BY POSTING A POST THAT INCLUDES THE SWEEPSTAKES HASHTAGS “#USOPEN AND “#SWEEPSTAKES” AND YOUR PHOTO, YOU ARE INDICATING THAT YOU HAVE READ, UNDERSTOOD AND FULLY AGREE TO THESE OFFICIAL RULES. DO NOT POST A POST WITHOUT FIRST REVIEWING THESE OFFICIAL RULES.
Partial or incomplete/piecemeal submissions via Instagram (e.g., including the Sweepstakes Hashtags but not including a photo in your Post, or, including a photo but not the Sweepstakes Hashtags in your Post) will NOT BE ACCEPTED.
Post must be created for the sole purpose of this Sweepstakes and must be posted by the entrant. Re-grams will not be accepted. To be eligible for the Sweepstakes, Posts must be submitted in compliance with the format and other requirements set forth by Instagram.
You may only use one (1) Instagram account to participate in the Sweepstakes. All Posts must comply with the Instagram Terms of Service and Instagram Rules available at the Instagram Website. Important note: If your Instagram account is set to “private” or “protected mode”, your Post may not be visible to Sponsor/Administrator and may not be counted as an Entry in the Sweepstakes.
If you opt to download and/or access Instagram via your wireless mobile device, data rates may apply for each message sent or received from your handset according to the terms and conditions of your service agreement with your wireless carrier. Other charges may apply (such as normal airtime and carrier charges as well as charges for wireless Internet access) and may appear on your mobile phone bill or be deducted from your prepaid account balance. Wireless carriers’ rate plans may vary, and you should contact your wireless carrier for more information on messaging rate plans and charges relating to your participation in this Sweepstakes. Mobile device service may not be available in all areas. Check your phone’s capabilities for specific instructions.
Entry via Twitter
An eligible entrant may enter the Sweepstakes during the Promotion Period via Twitter by tweeting BOTH of the Sweepstakes Hashtags (collectively, a “Tweet”):
Hashtags are not case-sensitive. Both Sweepstakes Hashtags must be included as part of your Tweet in order to be eligible.
You may include a comment as part of your Tweet, but this is not required, nor will the inclusion of a comment in any way enhance your odds of winning a prize. If you do add a comment, all uses of the word “Tweet” in these Official Rules (as used in conjunction with Entries) includes the accompanying comment as well.
If you do not have a Twitter account, you can visit http://Twitter.com or download the Twitter app from the iTunes App Store or Google Play and create a Twitter account according to the instructions on the website. Creating a Twitter account is free. Please note that you must agree to comply with the Twitter Terms of Service in order to create a Twitter account.
Your Tweet that includes both the Sweepstakes Hashtags (#USOpen and #Sweepstakes) will constitute an Entry into this Sweepstakes.
BY POSTING A TWEET THAT INCLUDES THE SWEEPSTAKES HASHTAGS “#USOPEN AND “#SWEEPSTAKES”, YOU ARE INDICATING THAT YOU HAVE READ, UNDERSTOOD AND FULLY AGREE TO THESE OFFICIAL RULES. DO NOT POST A TWEET WITHOUT FIRST REVIEWING THESE OFFICIAL RULES.
Partial or incomplete/piecemeal submissions via Twitter (e.g., including one (1) of the Sweepstakes Hashtags) will NOT BE ACCEPTED.
Tweet must be created for the sole purpose of this Sweepstakes and must be posted by the entrant. Re-tweets will not be accepted. To be eligible for the Sweepstakes, Tweets must be submitted in compliance with the format and other requirements set forth by Twitter.
You may only use one (1) Twitter account to participate in the Sweepstakes. All Tweets must comply with the Twitter Terms of Service and Twitter Rules available at the Twitter Website. Important note: If your Twitter account is set to “private” or “protected mode”, your Tweet may not be visible to Sponsor/Administrator and may not be counted as an Entry in the Sweepstakes.
If you opt to download and/or access Twitter via your wireless mobile device, data rates may apply for each message sent or received from your handset according to the terms and conditions of your service agreement with your wireless carrier. Other charges may apply (such as normal airtime and carrier charges as well as charges for wireless Internet access) and may appear on your mobile phone bill or be deducted from your prepaid account balance. Wireless carriers’ rate plans may vary, and you should contact your wireless carrier for more information on messaging rate plans and charges relating to your participation in this Sweepstakes. Mobile device service may not be available in all areas. Check your phone’s capabilities for specific instructions.
You must follow @USOpenGolf on Instagram or Twitter (as applicable) to enter.
LIMIT ONE (1) ENTRY PER PERSON DURING THE PROMOTION PERIOD, REGARDLESS OF THE METHOD OF ENTRY.
Entries must be manually key-stroked by the entrant; use of automated entry devices or programs, or entries by third parties by any method of entry, are prohibited. Entries that do not conform to or that violate these Official Rules or are submitted in any manner other than stated in these Official Rules will be disqualified. Sponsor and Administrator will not be responsible for late, lost, incomplete or misdirected entries. Proof of submission of an Entry does not constitute proof of receipt of same. All Entries must be submitted via a “post” and/or "tweet" on Instagram or on Twitter in their entirety prior to conclusion of the Promotion Period. By entering this Sweepstakes, entrants agree to these Official Rules and the decisions of the Administrator and Sponsor, which are binding and final in all matters relating to this Sweepstakes.
If for any reason the Sweepstakes is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud or technical failures beyond Sponsor's control that corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of the Sweepstakes, Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual who tampers with the entry process, and to terminate, modify or suspend the Sweepstakes. In such event, Sponsor reserves the right to conduct the Sweepstakes and award the prize(s) for affected Sweepstakes Period(s) in a manner which is fair, appropriate and consistent with these Official Rules, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion. Notice of termination/modification/suspension of Sweepstakes will be posted on the on the @USOpenGolf Instagram and Twitter accounts. Without limitation of any other term herein, Sponsor and its agencies are not responsible for failed, partial or garbled computer transmissions, technical failures of any kind (including but not limited to electronic malfunction or damage of any network, hardware or software), any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft or loss, destruction or unauthorized access to, or alteration of, entries; or any problems or technical malfunctions of any telephone network or lines, computer online systems, servers, or providers, computer equipment, software, failure of any e-mail or electronic Entry to be received on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any website, or any combination thereof, including any injury or damage to entrant’s or any other person’s computer related to or resulting from participation in this Sweepstakes.
Entrants further agree not to knowingly damage or cause interruption of the Sweepstakes and/or prevent others from participating in the Sweepstakes. CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT TO DAMAGE ANY ONLINE SERVICE OR WEBSITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE SWEEPSTAKES VIOLATES CRIMINAL OR CIVIL LAWS. IF SUCH AN ATTEMPT IS MADE, SPONSOR MAY DISQUALIFY ANY ENTRANT MAKING SUCH ATTEMPT AND SEEK DAMAGES TO THE FULLEST EXTENT OF THE LAW.
4. Content Guidelines: In addition to complying with all other requirements of these Official Rules, Instagram and Twitter, each Entry must not contain any content that Sponsor determines, in its sole discretion, is profane, obscene, disparaging or is otherwise inappropriate, objectionable, infringes on the intellectual property or other rights of any third party, or unsuitable for the uses contemplated in these Official Rules, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion.
If an Entry cannot be viewed and/or accessed by Sponsor or Administrator for any reason, such Entry shall be disqualified without any fault or liability of the Released Parties, as defined below.
5. Random Drawings/Selection of Winners/Notification of Winners: Potential winners (each a "Winner" and collectively referred to as "Winners") will be selected via a series of random drawings. Each Sweepstakes Period drawing will occur on or about the day following the conclusion of that Sweepstakes Period from among all eligible Entries received during that Sweepstakes Period. For the avoidance of doubt, if an Entry is otherwise in compliance with these Official Rules (including but not limited to the Content Guidelines in Section 3 above), the content of the Entry will NOT be taken into account in the winner selection process. All non-winning Entries from Sweepstakes Period #1 WILL be carried forward to the Grand Prize Period drawing. Drawings will be conducted by LeadDog Marketing Group, Inc., an independent judging organization/Administrator whose decisions are final and binding on all matters related to the Sweepstakes.
Potential Winners will be notified by direct message to the social media platform (i.e. Instagram or Twitter) the potential Winner used to enter the Sweepstakes from the U.S. Open social account (@USOpenGolf) on the applicable platform. It is recommended that you confirm your Instagram or Twitter notification settings are turned on. Entrants are encouraged to regularly check their direct messages following the conclusion of each Sweepstakes Period. The notification message will request that the potential Winner email the Administrator at the specified email address with specific personal information (e.g., full name, address, phone number, email address, social media username). Failure to respond to the initial verification notice within twenty-four (24) hours after notification or return of direct message or at reply as undeliverable after two (2) attempts will result in disqualification.
Potential Winner may be required to sign and return, within seventy-two (72) hours from date of transmission, an Affidavit/Declaration of Eligibility, Release and Indemnification, W9, and a Publicity Release where allowed by law and the necessary paperwork for a background check (as applicable) and any other documentation required by Sponsor or Administrator (collectively, “Winner Documents”). If the Winner Documents are not returned to Sponsor within specified time period (if applicable), potential Winner may be disqualified. If a potential Winner is disqualified for any reason, prize will be awarded to an alternate winner selected from all remaining eligible Entries received during the applicable Sweepstakes Period (time permitting). In the event of any dispute concerning the identity of any Entrant, the Entry will be deemed submitted by the natural person who is the authorized holder of the transmitting email account associated with the Instagram account or Twitter account (depending on method of entry) used to participate in the Sweepstakes. “Authorized account holder” is defined as the natural person who is assigned to an email address by an Internet access provider, online service provider, or other organization (e.g., business, educational institution, etc.) that is responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the submitted email address.
Prizes, Approximate Retail Values (“ARV”) and Odds:
Sweepstake Period #1
Prize #1 (1 winner): Winner will receive one (1) autographed commemorative item signed be a Lexus Golf Ambassador. Prize #1 has no retail value.
Exact autograph on the commemorative item described above shall be determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion; there is no guarantee that any particular member of the Lexus Golf Ambassadors will have the opportunity to sign the item. Autograph does not have a retail value and no representation is made as to any said value.
Prize #2 (1 winner): Winner will receive two (2) Trophy Club tickets to the 118th U.S. Open Championship taking place at Shinnecock Hills Golf Club in Southhampton, N.Y. between June 11-17, 2018. Trophy Club tickets provide admission to the grounds of Shinnecock Hills Golf Club, access to the Trophy Club, an air-conditioned pavilion offering seating and live network coverage in a sports bar-like setting with a wide variety of food and beverage options for purchase at an additional cost. All tickets include complimentary general parking and shuttle transportation. Exact dates of tickets to be determined by Sponsor at its sole discretion. All travel expenses are the sole responsibility of the Winner. ARV of Prize #2 is up to $480.00.
Prize #3 (1 winner): Winner will receive one (1) $100.00 American Express gift card (subject to terms and conditions thereon).
Grand Prize Period
Grand Prize (1 winner): The Grand Prize consists of a 5-day/4-night trip for the winner and a guest to Monterey, CA to attend the 119th U.S. Open Championship (“the Event”) at Pebble Beach scheduled to take place between June 13-16, 2019 (the “Trip”). The Grand Prize Trip includes: two (2) Lexus Hospitality Tent tickets to each day of the Event; which includes access to the grounds of the U.S. Open Championship and the Lexus Tent in the USGA Partner Village with complimentary food and beverage during the hours of operation All tickets include complimentary general parking and shuttle transportation; four (4) nights hotel accommodations (one room, double occupancy, room and tax only) at a Monterey area hotel selected by Sponsor in its sole discretion; roundtrip coach air transportation for two to Monterey from a major airport near winner’s residence (as selected by Sponsor) to a Monterey area airport selected by Sponsor and five (5) day access to one (1) Lexus Courtesy Car for one (1) named driver aged twenty-five (25) or older with an unrestricted, valid automobile driver’s license in good standing in at least one (1) U.S. state.
If Grand Prize winner is unable to travel to Monterey on the dates designated by Sponsor to coincide with the Event (currently scheduled to take place June 13-16, 2019), Grand Prize will be forfeited in its entirety and Grand Prize will be provided to an alternate as per Section 5 above, provided sufficient time remains prior to the Event. Date and location of Event are subject to change.
In the event the Grand Prize Winner is able to participate in the trip during the dates designated by Sponsor but the Event does not or cannot take place as scheduled or at all, for reasons including but not limited to cancellations, postponement, location changes, security considerations, an event of force majeure, or for any other reason, then Sponsor reserves the right to award the remainder of the prize in full satisfaction of Sponsor’s obligations hereunder and with no further obligation to the Winner. In such event, all travel is subject to availability, blackout dates, advanced notice requirements and must be completed by 6/30/19. Travel dates subject to approval by Sponsor. If Winner’s residence is within one hundred (100) miles of Monterey, as determined by Administrator in its sole discretion, ground transportation will be provided in lieu of air travel and no substitute prize or compensation will be awarded.
Winner and guest must comply with the Event’s rules and regulations at all times. Failure to do so may result in forfeiture of this portion of the prize. Should such portion of the prize become unavailable for any reason, Sponsor and its agencies shall have no further obligations in that regard other than to deliver a trip to Monterey as detailed, and subject to, the terms herein.
Grand Prize Winner is solely responsible for all other expenses related to the Trip not specified herein, including but not limited to meals, beverages, tips, taxes and hotel incidentals. Grand Prize winner and guest must travel together on specified itinerary, including same departure location and date, and return location and date or applicable trip may be forfeited in its entirety. Accommodation restrictions and blackout dates may apply. All travel dates and arrangements are subject to change, availability and Sponsor’s approval. Sponsor is not liable for any expenses incurred as a consequence of flight cancellation/delay. Certain documentation and requirements may be necessary for travel, such as photo identification. Grand Prize winner and his/her guest are solely responsible for any documentation and requirements and determining applicable procedures and restrictions. In addition, the Grand Prize winner may be required to present a valid credit card at the hotel at the time of check-in. Winner and guest must provide own transportation to and from departure airport.
Grand Prize winner and his/her guest are solely responsible for obtaining any and all necessary travel documents prior to departure.
Grand Prize winner’s guest must be eighteen (18) years of age or older or the age of majority in their state of residence (whichever is older). Grand Prize winner’s guest must execute a Release of Liability/Release of Publicity (where lawful) prior to travel.
If Grand Prize winner and/or guest are under twenty-five (25) years of age the Lexus Courtesy Car portion of the Prize will be forfeited. Winner is not entitled to the cash value of the Lexus Courtesy Car in the event she/he forfeits car portion of the prize.
ARV of Grand Prize: $7,000.00. Actual final value of Trip may be higher or lower based on point of departure and hotel availability and cost as determined at time of purchase and travel.
Total ARV of all prizes is $7,580.00
No substitution or transfer of prize (or portion thereof) except with Sponsor’s permission or where required by law. If for any reason any announced prize (or portion thereof) becomes unavailable, Sponsor in its sole discretion may award a substitute prize/prize component of equal or greater value (except as otherwise indicated herein). Prizes are not redeemable for cash. Federal, state and local taxes are the sole responsibility of the winners, Grand Prize winner will receive a 1099 tax form reflecting the actual retail value of the Grand Prize. Limit one (1) prize per family/address/ household. All potential winners are subject to verification of eligibility.
Odds of winning a Prize depends on total number of eligible entries received during the applicable Sweepstakes Period.
SPONSOR MAKES NO WARRANTY, REPRESENTATION, OR GUARANTEE, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, IN FACT OR IN LAW, RELATIVE TO THE USE OF ANY PRIZE COMPONENT, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ITS QUALITY, MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
7. Conditions and Limitations of Liability: By participating, each entrant agrees: (a) to be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of Sponsor, which shall be final in all respects; and (b) to release, discharge and hold harmless each of the Promotion Entities, Instagram, LLC, Twitter, Inc., Shinnecock Hills Golf Club, Pebble Beach Company, each of their respective advertising and promotion agencies and prize suppliers, each of the foregoing entities’ respective parent, subsidiary, related, affiliated and successor companies, and each of their respective officers, directors, agents, representatives and employees (collectively, the “Released Parties”) from any and all actions, claims, injury, loss or damage, including, without limitation, death and bodily injury, arising in any manner, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from participation in this Sweepstakes or any Sweepstakes-related activity, and/or from entrant’s acceptance, receipt, use or misuse of any prize or component thereof (including without limitation, any failure to pay taxes thereon).
By accepting a prize, Winner grants Sponsor and its designees permission to use his/her name, voice, likeness, photograph, prize information, biographical data and city and state of residence on a winner’s list (if applicable) and for programming, publicity and promotional purposes, worldwide in all forms of media now known or hereafter developed, in perpetuity, without further compensation unless prohibited by law. Sponsors and their designees are not obligated to use any of the above mentioned information or materials, but may do so and may edit such information or materials, at Sponsor's sole discretion, without further obligation or compensation. Sweepstakes subject to the laws of the United States only. All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply. All Entries become the property of Sponsor and will not be acknowledged.
8. Disputes; Arbitration/Choice Of Law: Except where prohibited, entrants agree that: (a) any and all disputes, claims, and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Sweepstakes, or the awarding of prizes/determination of prize winners, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by arbitration pursuant to the Rules of JAMS, then effective (notwithstanding the foregoing, entrant shall not be precluded from seeking relief in small claims court for disputes/claims within the scope of the jurisdiction of small claims court and any remedies available to entrant under applicable federal, state or local law remain available to entrant and are not waived pursuant to this section); (b) any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering this Sweepstakes but in no event attorneys’ fees; and (c) under no circumstances will entrant be permitted to obtain awards for and entrant hereby waives all rights to claim punitive, incidental and consequential damages and any other damages, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses, and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased and any and all rights to injunctive relief. The arbitrator hearing such dispute/claim/cause of action shall be neutral and the entrant will have a reasonable opportunity to participate in the selection of the arbitrator. Such arbitration will take place at a location near the entrant’s residence and the entrant has the right to an in-person hearing in the arbitration proceeding, if desired. The arbitration will allow for the discovery and/or exchange of non-privileged information between entrant and Sponsors. Should an entrant initiate arbitration pursuant to this section, the entrant shall be responsible for JAMS’s fees to do so (approximately, $250), with all other costs of such arbitration being borne solely by Sponsors. If entrant is a California resident and Sponsor is the prevailing party in such arbitration, such entrant will not be responsible for Sponsors’ costs and fees in conjunction with the arbitration proceeding; BUT, IN ALL OTHER CASES, ENTRANT WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR SUCH COSTS/FEES IF REQUIRED BY THE ARBITRATOR’S RULING. For the avoidance of doubt, the requirement to arbitrate disputes pursuant to this section is reciprocal and binding both upon entrants and Sponsors. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of entrant and/or Released Parties in connection with the Sweepstakes, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the State of New York, without regard for conflicts of law doctrine of New York or any other jurisdiction, and all proceedings shall take place in the City of New York, County of New York.
9. Sponsor: United States Golf Association, 77 Liberty Corner Road, Liberty Corner, NJ 07938.
10. Administrator: LeadDog Marketing Group, Inc., 440 9th Avenue, 17th Floor, New York, NY 10001.
11. Winners’ List: For the names of the winners, mail a self-addressed, stamped envelope to: The Ultimate U.S. Open Sweepstakes Winner, c/o LeadDog Marketing Group, 440 9th Avenue, 17th Floor, New York, NY 10001. All such requests must be received by June 29, 2018.